A few years ago I started feeling sad in the mornings. As I walked to work, or class, as I sat at brunch on a Saturday morning, or got in the car for a road trip...for years I had to look around and see others with their precious, steaming latte's, their to-go cups of cappuccinos, and their ice cold cold-brews in hand, while I went along with my morning, beverage-less. The truth is, there aren't many smells I love more than that of coffee beans being ground. And that bitter, deep taste-I LOVE IT ALL.
Unfortunately, my body does not see eye to eye with my mind.
Coffee makes me anxious. It gives me an abrupt high and an even steeper low. It messes with my stomach, dehydrates me, and gives me headaches. It sucks. But I want IN on that delightful morning routine!!
Recently I've discovered a few AWESOME beverages that make my nerves calm, keep my trillions of stomach bacteria happy (did you know 90% of your immune system lives in your stomach?!) and still make me say YUM in the morning.
If you're looking to switch up (or start anew!) your morning routine, give these a try!
Morning beverage #1
All the rage right now, turmeric-centric golden milk is a warming, anti-inflammatory, delicious way to wake up. As with many of the drinks, adding coconut oil or collagen peptides gives you a boost of energy, hydration, and bone health! Here's how:
- 2 cups milk of choice (coconut, almond, rice, cow's)
- 1 TBSP grated ginger (preferably fresh but dried will do!)
- 1 TBSP grated fresh turmeric (again, go with fresh! but dried if you must)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick crushed)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (this is said to increase your body's absorption of turmeric's anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-fungal etc properties by 2000%!)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup or honey (feel free to add to taste)
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (my fave: VitalProteins.com)
- In a small pot combine first 5 ingredients and simmer for 5-10 minutes (depends on how long you have before you gotta book it!)
- Add sweetener of choice.
- If using crushed cinnamon stick, strain. Otherwise blend using immersion blender or transfer to blender. (I find using an immersion blender saves you a step as well as creates a super frothy drink!)
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!